Friday, April 3, 2020

Band Members' Back Stories: Neil

mark@marktreble.com




I was an only child, which was probably a good thing. I don’t like to share, especially attention. My parents were devoted to me, paid for everything, told me I was talented and beautiful, and they were right.

I had to keep my secret from them, because I knew they would cut me off if they found out. That’s what my mother’s brother did to his son, and my mother voiced her approval often. No son of mine, etc. Anyway, I was only caught once, and lying my way out of it was easy. My parents would believe anything I said. I kept a bottle of vodka in my bedroom for visitors I was interested in. It was my favorite possession.

School was easy. I got by on my talent and my looks. No teacher was ever going to give the golden boy a bad grade, certainly not a failing one. My favorite subject was chorus, and I was always the soloist. I deserved to be. And, it’s not like I’m actually stupid. I did C level work without ever opening a book, and got Bs and As. That’s what it’s like to be the cool kid, and I make no apologies for it.

I dated a bunch of girls in high school, and they were sweet. They taught me how to kiss and how to give myself pleasure. They were easy to please with kissing and an occasional finger. I always dated the prettiest girls, because that was my right. I told them I wanted to save myself for marriage to my true love, and they bought it.

I wasn’t very good at sports, and got bullied a lot for it. In the past it bothered me, but by the time I was a senior I was over it. I was never going to be good, and there was no point in trying. yPlaying soccer was fun, because brains are more important than speed or strength. Plus, I don’t have to throw a ball and listen to the name-calling. After gym every day we got to shower. Together.

I’m still no good at sports, and I still bring a girl along with me when my parents take me out for lunch during a visit. I’ve finally convinced them to stop pressuring me about getting married. I’ve told them I have to establish my music career first, then I can think about marriage and a family. They think I’m being practical. Whatever floats their boat.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment