Sunday, September 27, 2020

Pandemic Journal, June 5, 2020

 mark@marktreble.com

 Pandemic Diary June 5, 2020

 Logan again. It appears that we’re going to Disney World the end of July to finish the season. Maybe. Sort of. At least, that’s what the rumors are. God knows what’s gonna actually happen. The protocols for dealing with all eventualities are eating up time and IQ points like mad. The team wants me to join the discussions just to get exposure to this stuff. Maybe I’ll be lucky and develop immunity. I had my first session today, and by the time I was out I wondered why we didn’t just administer the Law School Admissions Test at birth and smother everyone who passed.

 We fixed the issue of trading off nights for making dinner. I’ll make dinner from now on. If I can’t, we’ll order delivery. Should have done that from the beginning. Tommy tells me it’s expensive to order in all the time, and he’s probably right. And that’s OK, because the restaurant staffs and delivery guys have to make a living, too. We could afford to eat delivery every night, but why should we? I don’t mind cooking, and some times it helps just to go on autopilot and relax while doing mindless shit. Like cooking.

 Anyway, I made one observation today, that we ought to have a statement that in case of dispute we  will default to the assumption that all of us are adults, reasonable and prudent, who are making a shit ton of money by playing a game. Some junior member of the League Counsel’s office asked me to send that to him in writing, he’d like to think about it. Whatever.

 The team told me and Tommy that we were going to Orlando. All the teams are taking their reserves just in case. If you had a guy get the virus, and spread it to his roommate, and between them they infected half the team, everybody needed the reserves close by. As long as we were in reserve status, we drew 15% of league minimum, which is a whole lotta money. If we’re told to travel with the team in our reserve capacity, it goes to half of league minimum, which is more money than most people make in five years. If we’re activated, it goes to league minimum or whatever we’ve negotiated higher. That’s more money than I can imagine.

 I still need to translate at the clinic, so I called the Illinois nurses’ association. Many were furloughed because they worked at surgical centers that couldn’t see patients during the lockdown. I asked for them to put out the word that I needed two to function as a medical translator at a free clinic, the nurses would be contractors making a thousand a day. Within half an hour I had interviewed four and hired three. The first two would get two days a week each, and the third would get $500 a week to be available. The fourth one couldn’t speak Spanish. My first clue was when she asked me “How are you-o today-o?” I told her “Good-bye-o” and hung up.

 This is exciting. We might actually get to suit up for a real NBA game. Even if we don’t, Tommy will be doing the training work he’s good at, and I’ll be working with the guys. 

 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment