Sunday, July 9, 2017

My Favorite Authors

mark@marktreble.com



My three favorite authors, in no particular order, are Michael Crichton, Jonathan Tropper, and Cecelia Tan.

 
Chichton, who wrote Jurassic Park, State of Fear, Prey, the Andromeda Strain and many others, had a lifetime mission of educating people about complex systems through his books. Each of the ones I mentioned is primarily about acting inside a complex system with inadequate respect for the complexity.

Topper, who wrote Book of Joe, This is Where I leave you, Plan B and many others, writes social commentary as fiction. If there is a single theme, it is that making judgements about people is fraught with difficulties.

Tan writes in so many genres I lose track: science fiction, horror, baseball, LGBT, music, and social commentary. She may be the best wordsmith I’ve read. In particular, her web serial, Daron's Guitar Chronicles, is addictive.

Let me know about your favorite authors.

No comments:

Post a Comment